Thursday, March 3, 2011

FL Studio Mobile on the Way!!!

I have been waiting for an announcement from Image Line (FL Studio's Publisher) concerning and iOS version since the day the iPhone was announced. I have been using FL Studio from day one (back when it was still called Fruity Loops) and I have been longing for my favorite step sequencer and synths to pop up on the iPad. Last week my hopes were answered and I have to admit, I am a little worried it won't live up to my huge expectations.

Maybe this is gonna be
better than I think.
According to a post on KVR, JMC, one of the main voices behind FL Studio stated: "FL Studio Mobile was indeed developed in collaboration with Xewton". This is VERY disappointing. I am not a huge fan of Xewton to begin with and it looks as though FLMobile may just be a reskinned verion of Xewton with additions as follows:

- a step sequencer
- drumpads for the drumkits
- Image-Line (sample, synth & drum) content
- an export module to allow import in FL Studio
- a new UI

While I am REALLY excited about the step sequencer and the ability to go out to FL Studio I was really hoping for the workflow I have been addicted to in FL Studio. In addition JMC went on to say "All instruments (including our synths) are sampled". Samples are all right for some stuff, but I was really hoping for some deep synthesis options like in Nanostudio. The only things I am really miss in Nano are the step sequencer and an arpeggiator. It looks like there is not going to be one complete solution to all my needs any time soon.

Don't get me wrong, I will be the first in line to get FL Mobile as it will still likely prove to be a powerhouse for drum programming and sequencing. I was just really hoping for them to just port an early version of Fruity Loops over to the iPad with some touch controls. I made my first three albums using Fruity back when it was in versions 3-4. I bet the iPad could totally handle that type of processor load. It would be amzing to see 3XOsc or Wasp or (god willing) Sytrus make it over to the iOS version some day. I still feel limited by what the iPad can do and almost always end up finishing tracks up on the PC. I would love to knock out a track on the iPad and be done with it. FL Mobile could be the key to making this happen if they bring over some of the legacy functionality of its big brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment